Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Frankenstein Lantern

Hi Crafters!

It's time for some Halloween fun with etchall®!  I had some square vases that I thought would work well for some Halloween characters, especially one who has a square-ish head - Frankenstein! (Or, Frankenstein's monster if you want to get technical!)

This Frankenstein lantern can light up the night on your porch or table.  And, etchall® makes it so easy to create because the etched surface of the glass creates a surface to which the paint can adhere.

Here's how I did it.  The vase:

I etched each side with etchall® etching crème.  You can see that my crème has aged to a caramel color.  It still works fine.  Follow the directions on the bottle and let it sit for 15 minutes.  Then, scrape off the crème and put it back in the bottle - it's reusable!


Here it is after etching ready for painting.

After etching, I painted it with a transparent golden green paint.
It's a perfect color for the Frankenstein monster.

Then I painted the hair and eyes.  I added lines for the nose, mouth and scars with a black pen.
Frankenstein Lantern
Here's a side view:

I looked around the house and my craft room for something that would work for the bolts on the side of his head.  After a hunt around the kitchen, I found the perfect thing - a cork, which I cut in half and painted black.  I glued them to the side of the vase with gem glue.

Add a tea light inside the lantern, and you are ready to go!  Or, fill him with candy for those trick-or-treaters!

Need more ideas? How about a Jack O' Lantern?  Or, a scarecrow?  Try a few different jar shapes and group them together for a fun Halloween display!  Don't forget your etchall!

1 comment:

  1. I want one!!! This is so cute and the square jar is perfect! Thanks you for explaining that the etchall gives the "Tooth" or textured surface to hold the paint.

    Good job Terry! Green stuff in the mail!!

    ReplyDelete